We are BEATS
“Writing from a place of urgency.”
Call for submissions:
April Submission Call: QUEERY
“Part of the (lesbian/queer/gay/trans/intersex/bi/) consciousness is an absolute recognition of the erotic within our lives and, taking that a step further, dealing with the erotic not only in sexual terms.” – Audre Lorde
How do you recognize the erotic in your life? This issue of BEATS will focus on QUEERY into the experience of marginalized gender and sexual identities. Write about a coming out, a coming to, an inquiry towards. Write about sex, or not. Write about demolishing heteronormativity (please). Right about you, the implacable you, and those you love.
BEATS welcomes submissions that fit the theme from ALL writers; however, this submission call is particularly angled toward those who do not “fit” the binary (any binary). We’re particularly excited to see submissions from POC LGBTQIA+ Intersectional beings. Please submit up to 5 pages of hybrid work, poems, short prose pieces, essays, intermedia art, and/or memes. This issue of BEATS will be tailored to the material received, so send us your most intergeneric work!
Deadline: May 8, 2018.
We accept submissions from EVERYONE! If you have something to say, we want to hear it! If you would like to write with us, please consider the following:
- We are both a print and online periodical. We encourage the use of either/both platform in devising your piece. Note that online-only content should be formatted with WordPress in mind.
- All submissions should be sent as an attachment in a Word file–please no PDFs.
- We love work that incorporates social justice, politics, poetry, narrative, polemic, and more! Surprise us.
- Our current platforms include these categories (but don’t feel confined): blog entries, Facebook, Twitter, and print issues on a loose theme. Our print issues are assembled by hand and photocopied. Note, we don’t do much digital design with our print issues, so keep it simple and text-based.
- Got an event idea? Throw it our way!
Thank you for your interest! All submissions should be sent to email@example.com
To contact the editor of BEATS for other matters, please fill out the form below.